Sunday, August 31, 2008

“Life’s Little Victories”…the sucker story by Karin Heitzman

Everyone should appreciate this but all of us moms will understand this “One-of-Life’s-Little-Victories” moment that I was able to be a witness to.

You need a little background to see how this comes full circle for little Betty...

Back on Saturday when the band played on El Conde street, Betty was a magnet to people walking by. One was a grandma who stopped to tell us about her grandchildren and to meet adorable Betty. She gave Betty 5 pesos…apparently because her level of cuteness demanded a gift.

Now let me take you to the van ride on Wednesday heading to the Colonial City to walk around some historical sites before our evening gig. The conversation went a little bit like this:

“Mom, I need a sucker.” Betty proclaims
“Honey, I would love to give you a sucker, but I don't have one and I just can’t give you one right at this moment.” Answers Kristyn.
“But Mom…I really would like to have one now.”
“Betty…there is nothing I can do about that right now. I’m sorry.”
Betty turns to Karin whispering… "Karin, I need a sucker.”
Karin replies, “I will keep my eyes out for one.”
“It really should be red, yellow AND white” Betty instructs.

Suspiciously quiet time passes…

“BETTY! Why are you licking my arm?” asks Kristyn in an understandably surprised tone.
Betty replies, “I needed SOMETHING to lick.” In an understandably “DUH” tone.

More time…

“Why am I still getting wet?!” Kristyn asks while Betty is rubbing her recently licked finger on Kristyn’s arm
Betty, “I STILL don’t have a sucker!”
She was clearly driving home her desperate need for a sucker.

The van stops and we spend some time wandering around some amazing sites. Beautiful architecture, historically significant homes and monuments, when we come across a retrofitted baby stroller now being used as a vendor’s candy cart.

Now, you need to understand...Street vendors are selling cell phones, jewelry and services like shoe shining or window washing. This is the first candy cart that I had seen. It is late, and none of us have any pesos so the chances of there being a sucker, finding a way to purchase it, and finding the owner of the cart were slim from anyone’s point of view.

Steve suggests we keep walking because Betty hadn’t brought it up and she didn’t notice the cart. But not KG! She subtly walks by and sure enough! A row of suckers! In her consistently growing recollection of her Spanish skills she asks the vendor (who finally showed up) how much the suckers were. “5 pesos” the street vendor replied. KG reaches in to find the coin from the generous grandma we met back on El Conde street and the transaction is made! I have never seen a kid so happy to get a sucker. Well done Kristyn. Challenge extended, challenge accepted, challenge accomplished!




No comments: